Thursday, June 20, 2013

Stan Hitchcock-View From The Front Porch-June 20, 2013

1964. It was December, I had been living in Nashville now for two years, getting established in this Country Music business, as best I could. I had just this year started doing the early morning television show, "Country Junction" with Eddie Hill, working the Opry as a guest almost every Friday and Saturday night when I wasn't on the road. I was being booked by Smiley Wilson, at Wil-Helm Agency, a company started by the Wilburn Brothers and Don Helm. I was among good people at the agency, Loretta Lynn was just starting out, Johnny Russel also and Margie Bowes, wife of Doyle Wilburn was getting her singing career started.

On this particular weekend in December '64, I had a booking way up about as far as you could go in Michigan. Margie Bowes was booked on the show also, and Margie had hired Jimmy Capps to play guitar. She offered to let me ride with them to the show and share expenses. I was very glad for the offer, cause my travel money was about down to the 'nubbin.

Well, turned out Margie's travel money was about at the same level. However, Margie had a little bit of credit left on a credit card, so our lack of cash was not a problem. We would fill up her 1962 Cadillac, using the card, and there was enough left on the card to get us all the way to the show, then when we got paid, at the show, we would be flush again, and get back home. I'm going into this detail to show just how it was in those days, shoot, we were all below the poverty level, but living large and getting by anyway we could.

The three of us, Margie, Jimmy and myself, left Nashville in the middle of the night, cold and spitting snow. By the time we reached Cincinnatti it was snowing pretty heavy, but that never stopped a picker from getting to a gig. When we reached the small Upper Michigan town where we were playing, we found the High School auditorium where our show was to be held, posters on the door saying, "COUNTRY MUSIC SHOW" STARRING SLIM WHITMAN, MARGIE BOWES AND STAN HITCHCOCK", unloaded our stuff, found a warm room for a dressing room and tried to get the kinks out from the long ride up.

Slim Whitman was there ahead of us, already dressed in his black and white suit and matching boots. I had always been a large fan of his singing, had bought his records, back in the Ozarks, "Rose Marie" and "Indian Love Call" being two of my favorites. It was about three hours 'til show time, and I spent most of it just listening to Slim, as he took his guitar and warmed up his voice.

None of us had paid any attention to what was going on outside, but the Winter Storm had intensified and the snow was really coming down heavy.

Showtime! I came to the stage curtains, peeked out at the crowd...of about 65 people sitting spaced out in the gym. Seems these Michigan folks had more sense than the hillbillies when it came to Winter Storms.

We did our show, just like the auditorium was full, and Slim was just amazing with his voice and appearance. What people were there gave us all a standing ovation at the end.

Backstage, we changed into our traveling clothes and went to settle up with the promoter. When Margie and I walked up, Slim was standing talking to the promoter, who did not have a happy look on his face. The conversation was going like this, "Mr. Whitman, you folks did a nice show and all, and I know the place would have been full if it were not for the snow....but, well.....the money just did not come in....what with the money I spent on advertising and all...well...this is all I have to pay you..." He handed Slim four one hundred dollar bills. Slim stood, looking down at the money in his hand, he turned to Margie and myself..handed Margie two bills...handed me two bills...said, "We'll just give this to Margie and Stan, I'll get mine later."

What a lesson for a young, just starting out entertainer to witness. When you are the Star, and could keep it all, instead, passing it on down to the supporting acts, so they will have enough money to get back home with....that is real class.

Slim Whitman died this week, 90 years old. He once said,"I would like to be remembered as a nice guy with a clean suit." Well, Slim, that is exactly how I remember you. Go Rest High In That City Of Gold.   Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment