Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Stan Hitchcock-View From The Front Porch-May 27, 2013


Folks, its the end of the Holiday, we have worked on getting our place ready for the wedding reception in two weeks, straight through all three days and now I am relaxing with some of my music. If you like, you can join me and sing along or just listen and appreciate the message that each song brings.

When I play my old songs, it is not for ego or self promotion, shoot I am way past that, it is just that I believe that music is best when shared with friends, and y'all are my friends. Of course, to me, each song has a special memory attached, the memory of the actual time of recording, the friends and musicians that were such a vital part of it, many of them gone now...I've told you before, it's my song book of memories.


I remember the smile on Hal Ruggs face, as he hit a special slide on the steel, or Bobbe Seymour, getting the sound of a whole string section on one steel guitar, or Pete Wade, such a tasty tone that he always got out of his Gibson, and Ray Edenton, the man was just matchless on a flat top, and one of the nicest guys I ever met. Henry Strzelecki on his electric Fender bass, and a grin that would light up any studio, Bob Moore with his incredible acoustic bass, Jimmy Capps, who would woodshed with me to learn new songs to go into the studio with. Jimmy is the one that taught me "Have I Stayed Away Too Long", which turned out to be one of my favorite recordings, and Capps played his butt off on the song. Buddy Harmon, who simply was unequalled in setting a beat to a song. When Curly Chalker and I did "Shadow Of Your Smile", Buddy played just brushes on a snare, Capps on Gut String Guitar, Bob Moore on Acoustic Bass and the Leah Jane Singers doing backup vocals. It was a special moment in my music career that day in the studio in 1972. Chalker had no idea we were going to cut the song, but when we started it and in the middle I said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, my very good Mr. Curly Chalker" and he played stuff I never heard on a steel before or since.

That is what I see and hear when I play one of my recordings, I see the scene as it plays back, the excitement of standing at a mike with the greatest musicians that have ever been. Charlie McCoy, on harp, Wayne Moss, a guitar wizard, The late Bobby Thompson on dobro or banjo, The Jordanaires, the Anita Kerr Singers, Pig Robbins on Piano or my friend David Reece on Gospel Piano. Tommy Allsup on Tic Tac Electric Bass Guitar, Buddy Emmons, Pete Drake, my own band members, Vic Thomas, Bruce Osbon, Buck Evans...and the band and crew of all my tv shows, Capps, Lightnin' Chance, Hal Rugg, David Reece, Buddy Rogers...and the cast and crew of the "Stan Hitchcock Show From The Ozarks", Elaine Fender, Bobbe Seymour, Larry Smith, Bad Bob Birkhead, Eddie Pangborn, Nick Sibley...yes, that is what I see when one of my songs or tv shows is playing...I see the good times...the incredible music these people made for me, and let me sing along to it. And, I will never forget how blessed I was to be a part of it all.

Special Moments in a music man's life....stan

No comments:

Post a Comment